Construction sites across Wollongong, Shellharbour and Wollondilly, including the $ 630 million Albion Park Rail bypass, are preparing to close as part of New South Wales’ stricter coronavirus lock-in restrictions.
- All construction, including major housing development and the Albion Park Rail, will stop on Monday from 12.01
- Builders have spent the weekend securing their workplaces
- Fragments of coronavirus have been found in the Wollongong sewer system
Building companies have spent the weekend contacting staff and locking down workplaces.
Construction company TDK employs 40 people including masonry staff and has several plants in Shellharbour, Kiama, Wollongong and Bowral.
Its director Ken Tuggeral said the company was already under pressure.
“The minor lockdowns of the previous month had dropped productivity because everyone was scared,” he said.
Sir. Tuggeral said the prime minister’s announcement Saturday that construction sites had to be closed was a major blow.
“But again, I think everyone’s safety and well-being comes first, of course.
“If this means saving people’s lives, then I think it’s more important as long as people can survive and live.”
Sir. Tuggeral said it would create a setback for all of his projects.
“A project started only on Thursday. We got containers, sheds and fencing, and it’s all gone into play.
‘We could have put it up in two weeks’ [time] and did not have to pay for it. “
Sir. Tuggeral says he hopes to qualify for some of the business support packages and is waiting to speak with his company accountant on Monday about support measures for his employees.
Kiama MP Gareth Ward said the move would also close the $ 630 million bypass work for Albion Park Rail.
More than 400 people are employed in the project, and Mr Ward says he will talk to contractor Fulton Hogan about the situation this week.
Along with bypassing, major housing developments in Calderwood, Dapto, Wongawilli and Wilton will also close, and Mr Ward said the cost of the closure would be “significant but difficult to estimate”.
The local MP maintains his demand that the Shellharbour LGA be removed from the Greater Sydney lockdown area.
COVID detected in Wollongong sewerage
In the daily COVID-19 briefing, NSW Health said 27 of the new 105 cases were contagious while in the community.
The new infections brought the total number for the current outbreak to 1,242.
Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said Wollongong remained an area of concern for testing.
Meanwhile, NSW police are continuing to investigate the movement of removal advocates who allegedly left Greater Sydney despite knowing they had COVID-19.
Before traveling to Molong in the Central West of the state, police say the men traveled from West Hoxton in southwestern Sydney to Figtree in the Illawarra region and also stopped in South Bowenfels and Orange.
While NSW police have informed the media of the locations that the truck has removed, NSW Health has so far not identified any Illawarra exposure sites on its list of places of concern.
Today, the state also registered its fourth death in the current outbreak; a woman in her 90s from Sydney’s southeastern suburbs.