Two men shot dead on North Carolina Central University campus, police say

Two men were shot and murdered in a parking lot on the campus of North Carolina Central University on Saturday.

It happened while the university football game was taking place be played near.

Durham Police said the shooting took place Saturday night in the parking lot adjacent to the Latham Parking Deck. More than 5,600 people attended the shooting because of the shooting american football game were locked at nearby O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium and area roads were closed Closed while the police were looking for the shooter or gunmen.

Police called the investigation active and did not provide any information about a motive or possible suspects in the update.

The NCCU Department of Police and Public Safety released a statement stating that none of the victims were university students. It read in part:

“North Carolina Central University (NCCU) was struck by a tragic event last night involving individuals who are not part of the university community. The NCCU Police and Public Safety Department have meticulously implemented the incident plan indicative of their training and standards. Students, and all the guests on campus, quickly obeyed when a lockdown was imposed in and around O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium. After the incident, NCCU police and Durham Police Department officers worked for several hours to safely exit the football stadium and personally escort guests to their vehicles. The Durham Police Department continues to lead this active and ongoing investigation.

“Thanks to the NCCU’s well-trained, fast-acting police, no members of the NCCU community or its guests were affected by this tragedy. The department immediately deployed their skills to valiantly monitor the well-being of NCCU students, faculty, staff and guests. NCCU is and will remain a safe community. We are deeply grateful to the members of the Police Force and the Public Safety Department for their day-to-day protection and service to the NCCU.”

A family member said: Tavis Rhodes, 20, was one of the men killed in the shooting.

“I’m still trying to wrap my mind around this. I will never see my son again,” Rhodes’ mother said, asking not to be identified by… WRAL news out of security concerns.

Leave a Comment