This summer’s transfer window is closed for the best leagues in Europe! After a summer full of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to pull out their transfers. See all the great offers here and check out how we rated the biggest signings. But just because the window is closed until January, does not mean the rumors do not keep coming.
TOP HISTORY: Man City monitor Villarreal’s Torres
Manchester City are eager to move to the Villarreal star Pau Torres, with reports in Spain revealing that Pep Guardiola has been tracking the center-back for a long time.
Marca writes that the club this summer spoke with representatives of the Spanish international about a potential move to the Etihad Stadium, where the city’s football director, Txiki Begiristain, was involved in the potential deal.
But as the 24-year-old commits his immediate future to the club he has been at since 2002, any move could be delayed until the end of the season.
The Premier League team is the latest club to have been involved in the pursuit of Torres, who this summer rejected a switch to Tottenham Hotspurs, while being placed on the radar of both Real Madrid and Barcelona.
– ESPN + guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (USA)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– Do not have ESPN? Get instant access
13.37 BST: Raheem Sterling has put talks with Manchester City on hold while he waits to see how much he figures in Pep Guardiola’s plans in the coming months, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Sterling has found more competition for his place in the side over the past year, and while he met with Guardiola last month to discuss his position, the Telegraph reports that the two have a “troubled ceasefire” at the moment.
England’s international Sterling, who turns 27 in December, has a contract with Etihad that runs until the end of next season.
12.44 BST: Karim Benzema has insisted that “it’s just a matter of time” before Kylian Mbappe joins him at Real Madrid, despite the club’s failed attempt to land the Paris Saint-Germain star this summer.
“He said it himself,” Benzema told L’Equipe in an interview released Saturday when asked if he expected Mbappe to eventually do this. “He wants to see something else. One day he will play for Real Madrid. I do not know when. But he will come.”
Mbappe’s contract in Paris expires in June 2022, but he has so far ignored PSG’s attempts to negotiate a new deal and would be free to speak to other clubs in January.
That prompted Madrid to launch a series of bids to land France last month – sources telling ESPN they were willing to pay 200 million euros on the transfer deadline – which PSG refused to entertain.
– LaLiga on ESPN +: Stream LIVE games and games (US only)
11.48 BST: Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund are both monitoring Timo Wernerthe situation in Chelsea, reports the London Evening Standard.
Werner was Chelsea’s top scorer in all competitions last season, but this season has only started two Premier League matches since the summer signing of Romelu Lukaku.
The German international was an unused replacement during Wednesday’s 1-0 loss to Juventus in the Champions League, prompting further speculation about his future at Stamford Bridge.
Werern, 25, is reportedly being overseen by the two biggest clubs in his home country, where he played for Stuttgart and RB Leipzig before moving to Chelsea in 2020.
10.51 BST: Former Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta says he would like to return to the club in some capacity in the future.
Iniesta won 30 trophies with Barca as one of the club’s key players before leaving Japanese club Vissel Kobe in 2018.
The 37-year-old told the BBC he plans to return to Catalonia when he finishes his playing career, although he is not yet sure if he would prefer to be a coach or take a role upstairs.
“Yeah, that’s something I want,” he said. “I want it to happen because more than anything else it is the club I spent so many years in.
“You do not know what will happen in the future, you do not know in what way I could return, or who will be responsible at a certain time.
“So there are a lot of factors that make it hard to see what’s really going to happen, but if you ask me if I want to, the answer is yes.”
Iniesta, whose former midfield partner Xavi is seen as one of the candidates to replace Ronald Koeman as manager at Barca, added: “Sometimes I want to train, sometimes I think my interests go in other directions.
“I know I want to stay in football and when I finish as a professional I would like a coaching license, but I do not know if I will use it in the future.
“There’s nothing where I wake up in the morning thinking ‘I want to do this’, so now I want to enjoy playing, training and seeing what happens in the future.”
09.56 BST: Influential football agent Zahavi pine trees has been indicted in Belgium as part of an investigation into alleged misconduct in Second Division club Royal Excelsior Mouscron, the federal prosecutor’s office said Friday.
Zahavi is one of the most influential agents in world football. He was involved in the transfers of many star players, including Neymar’s world record move to Paris Saint-Germain in 2017.
The office confirmed Zahavi’s indictment following reports in the Belgian press that the 78-year-old former journalist had been charged by an investigating judge with “counterfeiting, use of forgeries, fraud and money laundering” in the Mouscron case.
The club was put under temporary administration two years ago on suspicion of money laundering and was later charged.
According to local media, Belgian prosecutors suspect Zahavi, who took over the club in 2015, of illegally financing Mouscron through offshore companies.
09.00 BST: Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has declined Bernd Leno‘s claim that he is in the dark over losing No. 1 spot to Aaron Ramsdale and urged the goalkeeper to concentrate on regaining his place in the side.
Leno, who has not appeared in the Premier League since August 28, gave an interview to the German newspaper Sport Bild on Wednesday, claiming, “there was no clear reason why I was out, but it had nothing to do with my performance. “
Ramsdale arrived at the Emirates in the final week of this summer’s transfer window in a deal worth £ 30m. £ from Sheffield United and has quickly established himself as the side’s first choice, starting in all three consecutive league victories over Norwich City, Burnley and Tottenham Hotspur to earn a recall to Gareth Southgate’s latest squad in England.
Asked about Leno’s comments ahead of Saturday’s trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Arteta said: “I had a very clear conversation with him 48 hours before I had to make the decision. Of course, any conversation I have with him is completely private. and I will not talk to any media about it.
“[I expect from him] the same as he has done every single day. Train as he does, be who he is, the person he is, the way he handles himself, and try to help the other goalkeepers and the other goalkeepers try to help him. “
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– Talk about it Donny van de Beek has seen the Manchester United star be linked with a switch to Juventus or AC Milan. It says Calciomercato, who writes that both Serie A clubs are tracking the midfielder, who is also receiving interest from Spain. The 24-year-old joined Old Trafford in 2020, but he has since been unable to nail a permanent place on the first team, leading to remarkable frustration when he was replaced by Villarreal.
– Villarreal Arnaut Danjuma continues to attract interest with Leeds United overseeing the former Bournemouth winger, writes Football Insider. The 24-year-old was an excellent player against Manchester United in the Champions League on Wednesday, as scouts from Liverpool also became rumored to be present. The LaLiga forward has contributed four goals in his last six games.
– Former Southampton star Gaston ramirez is set to continue his career with Al-Nassr, according to Nicolo Schira. The 30-year-old, who spent the last four seasons of Serie A with Sampdoria, is reported to have accepted a three-year deal with the Saudi Pro League club. The former Uruguay international scored 14 goals and assisted 18 in his time with Blucerchiati.
– Arsenal technical director Edu will scout Yves bissouma when the Gunners take on Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday night, Express says. The North London club are reported to have genuine interest in the Seagulls midfielder, who has helped his side to sixth place in the Premier League campaign so far this season, but the Malian international is facing a race to be fit for the match after a recent injury kept him out of Brighton’s draw 1-1 against Crystal Palace.