Harry Dunn’s parents reach ‘solution’ with teenager’s alleged killer in compensation claim | UK News

Harry Dunn’s parents have reached a “solution” with the teenager’s alleged killer in a civil claim for damages in the United States.

Dunn family spokesman Radd Seiger said an agreement had been reached “successfully between the parties and they can put this part of the campaign behind them”.

It comes more than two years after the death of 19-year-old Harry outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire.

The accident happened at RAF Croughton, a US air base
Picture:
The accident happened at RAF Croughton, a US air base

U.S. suspect Anne Sacoolas was charged with causing her death by dangerous driving, and was due to give evidence under oath last month as part of the compensation claim until a last-minute postponement.

This civil claim is separate from the criminal case, which is still pending.

Sacoolas, 44, was able to leave the UK following the fatal traffic accident on August 27, 2019, after the US government claimed diplomatic immunity on her behalf.

The details of the deal have not been revealed, but Mr Seiger said a decision in the civil claim means Harry’s parents, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, will now focus on the pending criminal case.

Sir. Seiger told the PA news agency: “It is a great relief to them that a solution to the citizen demand has now been reached between the parties and they can put this part of the campaign behind them.

“It’s never easy to build a legal fight for justice abroad, let alone in the United States, but the family’s courage and determination to see through this has been incredible.

Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, parents of Harry Dunn
Picture:
Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, parents of Harry Dunn

“They have been supported throughout the demand by (Foreign Minister) Dominic Raab and his excellent officials at the FCDO, and we are very grateful to them for all their help.

“We have been made aware that the US Government did not hide their dissatisfaction with the UK Government’s support from Harry’s family in bringing the claim.”

The claim for damages brought against Sacoolas and her husband Jonathan found a lot of previously unheard of material, e.g. The roles of the State Department that the couple had at the time of the accident.

Alexandria District Court in the US state of Virginia heard that the couple’s work with intelligence was a “factor” in their departure from the UK when they left for “security reasons”.

Sir. Seiger said Harry’s family will now turn their attention to the criminal case and the “long-awaited” lawsuit that will follow.

Leave a Comment

x