NORTH PORT, the Fla.-FBI and police will on Tuesday resume the search for Brian Laundrie in a 25,000-acre Florida reservation — just one day after canceling it.
Authorities are returning to the Carlton Reserve, where Laundrie, 23, is believed to have disappeared on a hike a week ago after being named a person of interest for his girlfriend Gabby Petito’s disappearance.
The FBI is now leading the criminal investigation, North Port Police Department spokesman Josh Taylor said in a statement.
“A weekend land search and air search on Monday on the 25,000 hectares [39-square-mile] “Preserv has not yet given an answer, but we must continue,” Taylor said.
“Be aware that the Carlton Reserve is a huge and unforgiving location at times. It is currently waist deep in water in many areas.
“This is dangerous work for the search teams as they wade through gator- and snake-infested swamps and flooded hiking and biking trails.”
Authorities abruptly halted the search for Laundrie in the Carlton Reserve for the first time Monday. It was not immediately clear what triggered the renewed search effort in the area.
FBI agents swarmed Laundrie home Monday, declaring it a “crime scene” before pulling his parents out.
Laundrie was reported missing by his family Friday after leaving on the hike three days earlier.
A body believed to belong to his 22-year-old girlfriend was discovered in Bridger-Teton National Park in Wyoming near, where her van was discovered late last month.
Petito was reported missing by her family on September 11 after Laundrie returned to her home in Florida without her 10 days earlier.