Cedric Nyamsi talks about social media abuse after being accused of bringing Covid to ACT | The Canberra Times

Cedric Nyamsi talks about social media abuse after being accused of bringing Covid to ACT |  The Canberra Times

coronavirus,

The man accused of bringing Covid to Canberra has spoken of his deep pain at the explosion of anger on social media directed at him. “It’s been the worst experience of my life,” Cedric Nyamsi said. “I thought I was a strong guy, but I just cried because it hurt me so much.” Speaking for the first time after getting out of quarantine at ANU, the butt of social media vitriol said he had not been to Sydney hotspots or even to Sydney in the past three months. He had no idea where he contracted the disease. He would offer his phone to the police so they could track his movements. He said he had already given his phone to ACT Health. Nyamsi said he had come out of quarantine a changed person. “I’ve never been scared in my life, but when I came out, I thought there were people who would attack me. I looked everywhere.” He said the claim that hurt him the most was that he was a drug runner who had been to Sydney to bring a shipment back. “I do not sell drugs. I do not even know the taste of drugs. I do not smoke and I do not drink. I am an athlete.” He said his friends had told him they thought the abuse was unpleasant because of his skin color. “I think it’s because I’m black,” he said. “If I were not black, it would not have happened.” A friend, Gus Nichols, agreed. “What has been portrayed does not look like anything,” he said. “It’s gotten to the point where you do not want to see social media because 99 percent of it is fake,” Nichols said. His persecuted friend was a model for young people, including his own son. Nyamsi was to some extent disappointed in Canberra. “I thought the Canberra people were very nice – very friendly – but I realize there are some bad people,” he said. He did not condemn everyone, but said the assault had really hit him. Mr Nyamsi is a wrestler who came to Australia with the Cameroon team for the Commonwealth Games in 2018. He is the current ACT heavyweight freestyle wrestling champion and a former Australian champion. Since then, he has worked as a fitness trainer and as a bouncer. He said he was an apprentice builder and also worked in a hardware store. He arrived from French-speaking Cameroon without English and has learned it in three years. READ MORE: He was working as a bouncer in Fiction nightclub when the current outbreak was first discovered. He says he must have caught it from someone else. Either way, the wrestler has just spent two weeks in quarantine at ANU. He says a first meal was provided by the authorities, but since then his sister has cooked food at home and taken it in. She delivered it and it was then left outside his room at the university. Nyamsi was one of four people living together in Mitchell. They all got covid. The other three were due to get out of their ANU quarantine on Friday. It is not clear whether ACT Health believes Mr Nyamsi was the “Patient Zero” of the current outbreak. “Investigations are underway for all current active cases and for the source of infection for this outbreak,” ACT Health said. Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in ACT and lockdown is free for all to access. However, we rely on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you can, you can subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our regular newsletter.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/steve.evans/871d149c-ef50-42a6-b776-e4dd06270ce4.jpg/r3_300_4998_3122_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

EXCLUSIVE

Leave a Comment

x