South Australia has registered two new cases in connection with its latest COVID – 19 outbreak.
- Two new cases were announced in SA today
- They both attended a winery north of Adelaide
- A record number of tests were performed yesterday
They are a brother and sister in their 20s who went to Tenafeate Creek winery north of Adelaide on Sunday afternoon.
A record 17,592 tests were performed yesterday, up from 13,000 on Tuesday.
Prime Minister Steven Marshall said South Australia might face a “very different situation” if the state had not gone into a seven-day shutdown on Tuesday night.
“A massive thank you to the people of South Australia for complying with the restrictions that have been put in place,” he said.
“Of course I’m cautiously optimistic … a large number of results have come in over the last 24 hours, but we are not out of the woods yet.”
Tenafeate Creek Wines is one of 71 exposure sites named by SA Health.
Of the 125 people who were at the winery on Sunday afternoon, 34 have been tested so far, while 53 at The Greek on Halifax restaurant have been tested.
All of them will be housed in a media hotel, Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said.
The cases stem from a man in his 80s who attended Modbury Hospital on Sunday night and tested positive for coronavirus early Monday morning.
A total of 14 people are now connected to the outbreak, as Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier has now appointed the Modbury cluster.
The original case is still at the Royal Adelaide Hospital with the others at the Tom’s Court Hotel in the Adelaide CBD, which is reserved for positive cases.
Sorry for long test lines
People have reported waiting more than 14 hours for a test, especially at the Victoria Park site in the Adelaide CBD.
Some people were forced to sleep in their cars.
“It was 14 hours and five minutes – I entered the queue at. 22.45 last night and came out at. 14.20 today, ”Paul McCormack told ABC News yesterday.
Some cars ran out of gas while they waited, while others had to seek urgent repairs from the RAA to stay in line.
“We certainly apologize for any delay. What we have seen, however, is an incredible increase in demand in a very short time,” the prime minister said.
A test site on Lot Fourteen opened today for people who had been ordered to get a cotton swab, but Professor Spurrier said this would be moved after difficulties with the winter weather, including from a leaking roof.
Sir. Marshall said a system might be put in place to tell people what the waiting times were before they arrived.
“I think we need to do a much better job of telling people about the likely waiting times, and that’s why the SA police are getting involved today,” he said.
“They’re looking at how they can provide better information to people who might be standing in these queues.”
He urged people to consider going to places other than Victoria Park.
Loading form …