Emotional moment loved ones release hundreds of balloons in memory of Michael Toohey

Heartbroken loved ones gathered to release hundreds of balloons into the sky in memory of Michael Toohey.

The 18-year-old of Oil Street, Liverpool, was found with multiple injuries at an internet café on Monument Place near London Road after being attacked. He was taken to the Royal Liverpool Hospital but died a short time later.

A murder investigation into the 18-year-old’s death remains ongoing and CCTV, forensic and witness inquiries continue to be carried out. The results of a post mortem have confirmed Michael died from multiple injuries.

READ MORE:Machete burglar breaks into man’s house and severs his artery

Today, around 100 people attended a balloon release in memory of Michael, who was soon to become a dad, at the scene of the tragic incident. Gold, blue and heart-shaped balloons were all released into the sky as loved ones played songs in the background.

A poster was put up on one of the shutters next to the internet café where Michael was found. It said “Rest in peace Michael Toohey. Loved and Missed Dearly xxx.”

Some people also wore T-shirts in tribute to Michael with a picture of the 18-year-old. One was worn by a schoolboy who said “Justice for uncle Michael Toohey. We love and miss you.”

Poster at the scene in tribute to Michael Toohey
Poster at the scene in tribute to Michael Toohey

Michael’s family paid tribute to their “kind, caring and courageous” son today and have urged people with any information about his death to come forward. The tribute reads: “My son Michael Toohey was what you’d describe as a beautiful well mannered placid young man, soon to be a daddy to a young boy who’s due in just three months.

“Michael was academically clever at school and left Everton free school at 17 to go on to work with his brother-in-laws in a family business. Michael loved going to the gym and going on long bike rides with family and friends.

“Michael was always doing something for someone whether that be tormenting his sisters or teasing his nieces and nephews, he was such a character but never had a bad bone in his body, and never had a bad word to say about anybody.

“Michael was adored by everybody who had the pleasure to meet him. His cheeky smile would light up any room, he was kind, caring, courageous and idolized his sisters and was a brilliant uncle.

“Michael loved his mum and was never far from home he was very much all for his family so when he found out he was going to be a dad he was overjoyed. Michael and his partner had only recently moved into a new house together to start a family of their own he was so excited for what the future had in store for them, Michael knew it was going to be a boy before anyone else.

The 18-year-old found fatally injured at an internet cafe on London Road was named locally as Michael Toohey
The 18-year-old found fatally injured at an internet cafe on London Road was named locally as Michael Toohey

“No-one would have a bad word to say about Michael so when the family got the phone call to say Michael had been brutally attacked they had no idea who would be so cruel and that history was once again going to repeat itself on another young innocent young boy.In 2003 Michael’s young cousin Johnny Delaney was attacked in Ellesmere Port and left to die days before his 16th birthday.

“Michael came from a beautiful accepting family who would welcome anybody and do anything for anyone in need. The family please ask if anybody knows or hears of anything related to Michael’s tragic death please come forward and prevent this from happening to anyone else’s innocent child.

“A boy full of potential and grace has had his life taken from him and his family left devastated who could be responsible for such a horrific act. Rest in paradise our beautiful boy. We will miss your cheeky face. Forever young Goodnight Godbless our beautiful boy Michael Toohey. “

Bouquets of flowers have been left at the scene as the murder investigation continues. Detectives investigating the murder are keen to speak to people who were seen standing at a bus stop on London Road and walking past TJ Hughes at the time of the incident who may have witnessed what happened. They are also appealing to a driver of a vehicle which was seen being driven erratically at the time.

Detective Chief Inspector Terry Davies said: “Although we have made an arrest our inquiries are still ongoing. This incident happened in a busy area of ​​Liverpool City Center on Saturday evening.

“We know there were a number of people standing at bus stops on London Road, walking past TJ Hughes or driving along London Road who may have witnessed this incident or a vehicle driving erratically at that time. I am keen to appeal to those people to come forward so we can speak to them. Similarly anybody who may have mobile phone footage or dash cam footage then please come forward. ”

Anyone with information on this incident can contact @MerPolCC, 101 or @CrimestoppersUK, anonymously on 0800 555 111 with reference 22000261976. Anyone with any footage, can upload this to be viewed by police via the following link to the NICE website

Leave a Comment